Saturday, January 12, 2008

Enjoying Photography

It's nice to just have my camera and take pictures just for the fun of it. Don't get me wrong, I DO enjoy shooting weddings and portraits, but once in a while you gotta do something for yourself...

Denise, Jordan & I went downtown and walked around the tidal basin and the FDR memorial. Armed with my Canon 30D, 85mm f/1.8, and 24-70mm f/2.8 I was ready!


Jordan starts her day with some easy reading :)



Shot this medevac chopper in the air above the Tidal basin


A shot from the Thomas Jefferson Memorial looking at the Washington Monument

We happen to come across some wedding photographers with their clients :)


Love this shot with the sun peaking through the columns


Thomas Jefferson Memorial


Japanese pagoda at the tidal basin


These statues at the FDR memorial symbolize the Great Depression. I converted these images to B&W.

"The Rural Couple," a sculpture by George Segal


"Breadline" (created by George Segal). The sorrowful faces of the life-size statues are a powerful expression of the times, showing the inactivity and troubles of everyday citizens during the Great Depression. Many visitors to the memorial pretend to stand in line to have their photos taken. I opted to just attach my 85mm lens and take this photo of Segal's work.


I used my 24-70mm for this shot


The five-paneled "New Deal" mural is a collage of various scenes and objects, including initials, faces, and hands.


And of course I couldn't resist a few shots of my favorite girls :)



4 comments:

BMagsGirl said...

Beautiful pictures!! I love the one of the monument.

Erin Harvey said...

Great pics! I love the detail in the Jefferson Memorial shot with the Washington Monument in the distance. The columns shot is also one of my favs. How funny that you just can't keep away from wedding parties, haha.

Gerald & Airika said...

It's great to experience D.C. through your eyes, Armin! The images at the Jefferson Memorial are awesome! And were they three wedding photographers on the ground in that shot? Wow! ~Airika

Melissa E Earle said...

Love all the DC images here! They were great. Having been there, I totally appreciate your view!
Cheerio
-Melissa E Earle