Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Video and Photos Everyone's Been Waiting For...






My review of the new weather proof BODA Dry lens carrying system from Jim Garner! Be sure to visit his website and Boda blog :)

First things first, I'm not endorsed by Jim Garner or his Boda products. This is strictly my own personal take on the BODA Dry bag. Okay let's get to the fun stuff...

The search for the perfect photographer's bag is never ending. Ask any photographer and you are sure to find many opinions on what makes a great gear bag. Well guess what, I have an opinion to share with you. The BODA Dry lens carrying system is by far my favorite bag of any kind that I've owned to date. Keep in mind this is a lens bag, as it is designed primarily to hold up to 4 lenses & some accessories (they also sell the Boda Jr., see the website for details). You can probably put an SLR body in it with no lens attached and it'll fit fine, but you give up lens space. I've tried it myself and encountered no problems. But remember, it's a lens and accessory bag.

Also this bag is designed to be weather proof. I haven't worn it in the rain or snow yet, but I did put some drops of water on it, only to watch the beads of water roll off... no it's not a real world test, but it's still way cool :)


This bag not only holds lenses, but many of your accessories that a photographer, and especially a wedding photographer, would need to carry on their person at all times, at least what I think "I" need. Did you know "boda" is the spanish word for wedding? The bag is super comfortable on me, it does not feel like I'm carrying a box as it flexes just enough to contour to my hip, while remaining rigid enough to maintain its shape during lens changes. It has plenty of pockets to hold a lot of the essentials, even a ring to attach your keys to. It comes with a Boda lens cloth and Boda business card holder - nice touch :) You can also order optional comfort & waist strap accessories for added comfort. I'm more of a shoulder bag guy so I didn't need them.


Want a closer look? Okay, let's get to the video! It's about 8 minutes long, so sit back and enjoy.


Armin's Review of the BODA DRY Lens Bag from Armin DeFiesta on Vimeo.


Boda lens cloth


Outer flap pocket


Large deep pocket, great for anything


Pockets for batteries and CF cards




Small pockets for small things :)


Big pocket for flash or another lens


Sometimes I'll put my Epson p-3000 here


Large pocket on the side closest to your body




More pockets, one I like to put my phone in


Water anyone?


A look inside


With the insert in place (velcro secured)


My wife Denise modeling the BODA :)





Want to see more reviews? Visit Matt De Jesus' blog and Ray Santana's blog for their opinions about this cool bag.

31 comments:

Ray Santana said...

HD video I love it!!! Dude super nice job we gotta hit up Jim in Vegas for dinner he told me that dinner was on him for all the promo's... lol.ps great job.goodtimes

Armin de Fiesta said...

Sounds like a plan Ray! I'll be in Vegas so we'll take him up on that. Thanks man.

susan solo said...

Very cool, Armin! Great job on the review and the video - you SHOULD get paid from Boda!

Noah Hayes said...

Awesome review! Are you trying to convince me to get one by throwing in the iPhone reference? I'll admit, that is tempting...

APishvaei said...

NICEEEE Review; seem like a great product... You did a video review too. lol

Chris Harvey said...

Now we're talking Armin! Video reviews with lots of pictures. That is my kind of review. I guess I'll have to get one myself now...

I will expect more videos from now of course, since you have raised my expectations =)

Fed said...

Sweet! I have been going back and forth about what bag to get. I really like the Boda and just wanted to see it in a little more action. Thanks for posting it.

MattDJ said...

Armin, you're my hero!! :-) I'm not even going to bother doing a review on my site. You said it all and I agree 100%.

Awesome, awesome job on the vid! You NEED to make this a regular feature. Keep it up bro.

Fabian said...

Excellent video, very helpful. Thank you!
I had my eyes on the previous model and I was hoping for some kind of "special" at WPPI. Now I have two styles to choose from. Cool!

Erin Harvey said...

Great video Armin. Very thorough. You definitely make it tempting to pick one of those up.

Oh and was that your new video light that was making you and your new boda dry glow? :)

Armin de Fiesta said...

Erin - yes I had my video light on :) I've had it only a couple of days so after some testing, I'll be doing a review of the Lowell ID video light as well, stay tuned!

David Burke said...

Such a great review! You deserve a free bag for sure. haha

Josh said...

Great Video! I think you sold me on the bag. One Question. Do you feel like you can safely put a camera body in there. I have a 40D that I would like to store in there when I go from shoot to shoot. In your opinion is this possible with a few lenses in there?

Thanks again for your review.

Armin de Fiesta said...

Josh - Yes, I've been able to put a 5D with no lens attached in there just fine. I placed it on top of a lens, and the 70-200 in the other side. You can easily replace the 70-200 with 2 lenses if you purchase another divider from the website. Making it easy to carry a body and 3 lenses.

Josh said...

I think you should get a nice check from these guys cause it sounds to me like you are selling lots of bags. Great review. I think I will have to pick it up as soon as I can.

Thanks again!

Armin de Fiesta said...

Your welcome Josh. Everyone that I've showed it to and who've tried mine on are immediately impressed how comfortable and useful it really is. I think you'll be pleased!

Daniel Zain said...

I can't wait to get my own Boda bag when i get to the States in June.

Seems very practical and sturdy.

Thanks for the review :)

kennykimdotcom said...

dude, your review makes mine look like a low-budget advertising. :) I'm gonna link to it.

Junshien said...

wow... this was incredibly helpful! i'm seriously close to convinced to buy the bag, whereas before i didn't really care for it...

Casey said...

Armin-


At first I decided that I just couldn't afford this bag. After watching your video about 20 times and drooling over it, I was able to pick up a boda original for 90 bucks used and I love it. Thanks so much for positng the review.

Casey K.

Anonymous said...

Armin--

Thanks for putting together the great video and pics! Very helpful.

I am really surprised that you don't use lens caps on any of your lenses. Is that normal? I always use mine; I can't afford to have a piece of lint show up in my frames in the middle of a shoot. Or maybe I am just too paranoid.

Cheers!
michael todd
Luminaire Photography
Columbus, OH, USA

Armin de Fiesta said...

Thanks Michael Todd for your comment, I'm happy my review was helpful to you. I take all my lens caps off before a shoot. It helps me to have them ready for fast lens changes. I've never had any lint or dust show up in my images as a result of not having lens caps on (knock on wood!).

Matthew Saville said...

Armin! You gotta get those memory cards out of your camera bag and into a memory card wallet in your pocket! Your images are your most precious possession when you're at a wedding, and you do *not* want to store your photos in the item that is most likely to get stolen! Of course if you don't EVER take your bag off and put it down then I guess you're okay, but still, I think it's a good idea to keep your captured images on your person at all times... This is a tip I learned from Becker...

Take care,
=Matt=

Armin de Fiesta said...

Thanks Matt for your comment. I actually do keep the Boda on me the whole time. Even so, I (or my assistant) still take time to copy all my cards to my Epson p3000 storage device during the event, just in case.

Anonymous said...

Great Video!

Anonymous said...

I love your review that I got one. I love the bag until I saw "Made In China" inside. I really hope this made in china bag is worth the price for sturdiness, quality and strength. For $200.00, this bag should have been "Made in Italy" or "Made in USA"!

MJ said...

I am contemplating getting this - but I am disappointed to read its made in China too! Everything is made in China :(:(

Is it good around the waist?

Armin de Fiesta said...

MJ, I just ordered the waist strap. So when I do my Boda Bag update review, I'll review the waist strap as well! Thanks for visiting!

John said...

Armin -
Did your boda bag come with the horizontal insert or did you purchase it separately? I'm trying to determine if mine came w/o one or if I was supposed to purchase it. Thanks!

John said...

Interesting. I ordered mine from Adorama and they said that it does not come with a horizontal insert. They offered to send one for free though. Also, I found a hat in the back compartment of my bag that was completely unrelated to the boda name. Did I get a random hat with mine that i wasn't supposed to??? :)

Job said...

Great review, Armin !!!
Thank you for reviewing this bag. I'm thinking of buying it but there's still one more question I wanna ask.

Since this is a lens bag, can your bag stores the camera with any kind of lens attaches? If it's able to store, can you take some pictures and post in this post too, please?