Sunday, July 13, 2008

Washington DC Area Photographers Get Together w/Andrea & Dave

Last night I had the best time with some awesome photographers from the DC area. Kimberly Brooke, Julia MacInnis, Jaime Windon, Shelby Leigh Martin, and yours truly got together to shoot some fun low light night shots of Andrea & Dave. Kim's sister Rebecca was also armed with a Fuji S5 to shoot with us as well =)

I love blogging about these get-togethers. Nothing can be more fun than being with a small group of people who share the same love & passion for photography. Making connections, hanging out with good friends, and sharing our ideas is so important in our industry these days. So visit everyone's blog to see their INCREDIBLY AWESOME photos from the get-together! Thanks to everyone, including Andrea & Dave, for hanging out! Looking forward to the next one!


We are the coolest and best looking bunch... evah! =)


We had some time to talk before Andrea & Dave arrived


Rebecca, Kim, & Julia


Shelby, Jaime, and Andrea with her "bridesmaids", lol


Andrea & Dave were great sports letting us direct them & have fun.
They were so patient & willing!


...behind the scenes...


Kim was super helpful with everyone teaching a little bit about off camera lighting.


And she's not afraid to get down & dirty like me... she's awesome =)



It was getting pretty dark, but the light was just right.



The original image here was underexposed so I took advantage of it and went with some dramatic shadow & highlight settings in Photoshop



More fun lighting techniques



PHOTOGRAPHERS: I shot this to prepare for a test shot. Julia is holding the video light off to the right to provide some rim light on the wall. The umbrella/flash was just to the bottom pointing up to light Andrea's dress. Then I set a flash with a snoot just off to the left (behind the tree so you can't really see it in the image) to direct more light on Dave & Andrea.



Here's a test shot from that setup. Looks pretty good =)



Then we had some fun with them!



It was way cool, and Montrose Park is a real find near Georgetown. Thanks to Jaime & Jessica del Vecchio (who couldn't make it) for recommending the place! Despite the bugs and heat in the beginning, we all had a blast and learned a lot. Thanks to Dave & Andrea for bringing a cooler full of water! Fun times =)


20 comments:

Susan Solo said...

That IS a good-looking bunch! This looks like it was so fun and helpful, I'm bummed I couldn't be there. Next time for sure.

Jennifer Wathen said...

Lookin' good Kim!!!!

david & kimi baxter said...

now that looked like fun!!

Val McCormick Photography said...

Wow, that looked like so much fun. Very creative Armin, with the underexposed shot :-)

Sarah Hodzic said...

This looks like so much fun. I wish I could have joined you all!
Next time.

Thanks for sharing some of the fun!!

kimberlybrooke said...

man - you are fast. i haven't even taken the images off my card!!! they look great armin!!! i like the one under the dumbarton gate :)

Jessi said...

Those are great...I really like the last one.

Erin Harvey said...

Sheesh Armin, only invited girls huh? You probably added some fake guys emails to the invite list that all got returned to you. Sneaky.

Asim Soofi said...

Sorry I missed this one Armin but thank you for the invite. Looks like you guys had a blast. I had a wedding to go to...I PROMISE, the next one I'll be there...if no shoot that is!

Erin J. Photography Blog said...

Look at you and all those ladies! You poor thing, you have such a hard job! :-)
Looks like fun! Wish I could have made it!

shelby leigh said...

dude you even made me look good! thats talent! no, but seriously, awesome images!!!! i'm stealing you're group photo for my blog :)

Jessica Del Vecchio said...

Looks like you had a great time... so sad I had to miss out...

Anna Costa said...

Armin, Your awesome! I love the idea of getting together with other photogs and doing something fun like low lighting!
Great images. you rock!

p.s - thank you so much for all your support on my American Idol audition videos. I can't believe how much you write and how helpful you are!

xoxo

lilzowe2004 said...

these photo's look great Armin!!

Meg said...

Those pictures are gorgeous!! It really looked like you were all having a great time too!! Thanks for checking out my blog :)!!

Sally Brewer Photography said...

Looks like y'all had fun!

Karlo said...

these behind the scenes shots are awesome. mental note, buy umbrella stand light thingy....

Moshe Zusman said...

simply beautiful, I love your work!

Kim said...

hey, i recognize one of those ladies :) always wondered what jaime does when she's not hooked up to the computer. looks like you guys had fun (especially you sandwiched between all those lovely ladies:)! you got some great shots- nice work!

Lydia said...

These are all great! I bet the bride and groom were excited to have so many cool photographers. I wish we had a get together like this in my area!