Sunday, August 3, 2008

What IS Custom Photography & Why Does It Cost More?

My good friend Jennifer Hunter shared a great read on her blog about a behind-the-scenes look into custom photography. It provides great insight into what it takes and what it costs to operate a photography business. Like any business, things are more complicated than what our clients see on the surface. So much time, effort, and cost go into one image, one photo session, or one wedding. I call it "invisible work". Even after I read the article myself, I couldn't help but think what my work really means to my clients. The quality and energy behind my clients' images truly preserve their memories forever. "Memory preservation" is a huge responsibility placed on my shoulders as a wedding & lifestyle photographer. An investment this special and heartfelt just cannot be placed in Uncle Bob's hands with his high tech point-and-shoot camera. There's really more to it than that. It's more than just the camera, more than just the tools, more than just the knowledge. You either got it or you don't.

CLICK HERE for the article! I would LOVE to hear what you think after reading it!

One last thing I want to mention. I heard a great story recently at a photography seminar. A true story...

One day, Picasso was sitting in the park transferring the beautiful images he was taking in onto the canvasses in front of him. A lady happened by and recognized him.

"Why, you're Picasso," she said. "The famous painter. Oh, would you do me the honor of painting my portrait?"

Picasso was happy to oblige. He picked up a new, clean canvass and with a quick, rounded stroke of the brush, completed her portrait.

As he handed it to her, she gushed. "Oh my. This is so beautiful. It captures my essence completely. Thank you."

Picasso replied, "That'll be $20 please."

Incredulous, the woman responded, "Twenty-dollars? It took you all of 10 seconds to do this portrait."

"No," Picasso replied. "It took me a lifetime."



4 comments:

Sarah Hodzic said...

Armin this is fantastic!
I want to post this link on my blog too!
I will email Jennifer and ask if it's ok to share her amazing wisdom and very well written explanation of what we do as pro photographers.

Killer article!
Thanks SO much for sharing.

Julia MacInnis Photography said...

OMG -- I ran across this site a few weeks ago and meant to blog about it too. It's aweesome. Thanks for reminding me!

Ricki Ford said...

Thanks for shairing this. Its an awesome read.

jen said...

Awe, Sarah...you're so nice ;-) I WISH I would have written this, but I didn't! Just found it on my friend's photography blog and wanted to share it with my readers, and then Armin did the same. Go on and spread the wisdom! It's something all clients need to know! ;-)