Monday, January 19, 2009

HDR Fun =)

During my off-season from weddings I like to work on marketing plans, business plans, networking events, and do lunch with fellow wedding vendors, including photographers! Today I had the pleasure of meeting Natalie Franke, a young new talent entering the portrait photography industry. She's also exploring the idea of adding weddings to her new business. She's got a great eye and strong business sense. Be sure to visit her site & blog and leave some comments. We will watch her career with great interest!

One thing I enjoy on my off-season is exploring photography techniques. I finally got around to experimenting with HDR, or high dynamic range photography. It simply involves taking 3 exposures of the same composed shot and layering them together to bring out details in the image that would otherwise be lost.

I set my Canon 5D's AEB (automatic exposure bracketing) to +/- 2EV. I shot handheld and steady. I recommend a tripod though =)

Exposure #1


Exposure #2 - the camera underexposes


Exposure #3 - the camera overexposes



I took all three exposures into Adobe Photoshop and ran Totally Rad Action's "Combine Exposures" action. I tweaked the layers applied to suit my taste, then adjusted the color saturation levels and contrast and got this:


Pretty cool huh?

7 comments:

Natalie Franke said...

You really rocked this shot! =)

melissa said...

That is SO cool.

Erin Harvey said...

Awesome Armin! HDR is so fun, but I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. Cool stuff. =)

Ricki Ford said...

Great shot!

Jennifer said...

That is really cool!

Dorie said...

That is a great shot Armin

kristieblake said...

love it...been playing around with hdr as well